Why Should You Donate Your Vehicle to Goodwill?
Because your vehicle donation to MERS Goodwill will benefit individuals by providing employment services and job placement programs for those with barriers to employment. MERS Goodwill served nearly 30,000 individuals in the bi-state area last year. The revenue from the sale of your vehicle stays local.
- Goodwill accepts all vehicles including cars, trucks, vans, trailers and some boats and RVs depending on age and condition.
- The vehicle does not have to be running.
- Donor must provide a clear title and other required paperwork for the vehicle.
- The donation process is very easy and towing is free.
- Goodwill is IRS approved and you may qualify for a federal tax deduction. Goodwill will provide you with a tax receipt.
- Goodwill is accredited by the Better Business Bureau and is rated 4 stars by Charity Navigator.
How To Donate
How do I start the vehicle donation process?
- Call (314) 241-3464 to speak with someone in the local Goodwill car donation center, or
- Download our Auto Donation Packet and mail it to us, or use our online form to donate online.
What happens after my vehicle is accepted for donation?
- You will receive an email and/or a letter confirming receipt of your donation.
- A towing company will contact you to schedule the pick up of the vehicle. All towing is FREE!
- If the car is at a repair shop, the towing company will make arrangements with the repair shop for pickup. Be sure to remove all personal belongings from the car and remove your license plates. Leave the keys at the shop.
*Please let us know if a rush pick up is necessary due to a police order, or if your car is at a repair shop. We will work with you to make the necessary arrangements although we cannot guarantee a same day pickup!
What happens after my vehicle is picked up?
• Goodwill evaluates the condition of each donated car in order to obtain the highest possible selling price in order to maximize the donor’s federal income tax deduction. See this link for IRS information regarding donating vehicles: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p4303.pdf
• Your car will be delivered to a local, dealers only, auto auction and sold in the weekly auction.
• After the car has been sold, you will receive an IRS approved letter/receipt from Goodwill providing your car’s sale information. This letter should be used as your charitable receipt for federal income tax deduction purposes. Additional tax documents may also be provided when required by the IRS.
Areas of Service
St. Louis Metropolitan area including St. Louis Metro. East (Illinois); St. Charles County; parts of Jefferson, Franklin and Phelps Counties; Rolla, St. Robert and surrounding areas subject to towing availability and cost.
If you are located outside of the MERS Goodwill towing areas click here for another option.
Current Donation Promotion
Donate your vehicle today and get 4 Field Box Tickets to a 2023 Cardinals Game!
- One set of tickets per household
- Tickets will be mailed to you after the car has been picked up and we receive your original title.
- Promotion will run while supplies last.
If you have any questions, please call us at 314-241-3464.
Can I claim my car donation as a tax deduction?
Yes. MERS/Goodwill is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit charity organization. Contributions, including car donations, may be claimed as deductions on your federal tax return if you itemize on Schedule A of Form 1040.
How much can I deduct?
If you intend to claim a tax deduction of $500 or less, you will need to determine the “fair market value” for your vehicle and claim that amount.
If you intend to claim a tax deduction of more than $500, you will be limited to the sale price that Goodwill receives for the vehicle. Goodwill is required to notify the IRS of the sale price if it is over $500. We will also notify you, the donor, of the sale amount.
Where can I get more information?
Consult your tax adviser or refer to any of these IRS Publications on the IRS website at http://www.irs.gov:
- Publication 4303, A Donor’s Guide to Vehicle Donations
- Publication 526, Charitable Contributions
- Publication 561, Determining the Value of Donated Property
- Form 8283, Noncash Charitable Contributions
- Instructions for Form 8283
Please contact us if you have any questions:
- (314) 241-3464
- [email protected]